Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Comments on Grading and Grade Cutoffs

I've had a number of people asking me about what the grade cutoffs announced in class mean. Let me take a moment to tell you how I will be calculating your grades. At the end of the semester I will compute a weighted average of your grades, using the weights announced at the start of the semester (15% homework, 60% mid-terms, 25% final).

To determine the final grade cutoffs for these final averages, I will average the grade cutoffs in the same way. For instance, to get the A-cutoff for your final averages, I will compute a weighted average of the A-cutoffs for each assignment. Thus a student who gets precisely the A-cutoff on each assignment will receive an A for the course, but anyone with an average below that will get a B or lower.

For midterm grades, I'll take 60 times your first exam score and 15 times your homework average, add them together, and divide by 75.

If you want to know where you stand right now, you can look at your weighted average (I just added this feature) in Blackboard. You should then compare it to the "Grade Cutoffs" in the "Cumulative Average" section of this (updated) statistics page. That will tell you your current letter grade.

No comments: